STUDENT PATHWAY Part 2: Frequently Asked Questions


1. Magkano ang Show Money? – Show money may deceive you by thinking that it will really end up as “show” money (aka pwedeng-utangin-muna-then-ibabalik-pag-na-approve-na). NO! Big NO! If you think this is possible in other streams, in student pathway, you CANNOT. The funds you used to “show” in your application should be proven accessible UNTIL YOU ENTER Canada. So this cannot be returned to wherever you took the funds from. This is not necessarily in cash form but could be presented as manager’s cheque or bank drafts (other forms available in cic website).

So how much do you actually need? Depende sa school kung san ka makakakuha ng LOA (Letter of Acceptance). Tuition from schools are not the same so when you do your computation, make sure you INCLUDE your whole expenses for the school and your funds for 1 yr (10,000CAD). If your course is longer, more funds will be needed. Do the math (mahina ako jan hehe). If you are to go with a family member, you will add 4,000 CAD per year for the 1st family member and 3,000 cad per year for the 2nd family member and succeeding members. Again, do the math 🙂 You can consult cic website for a clearer picture of this. In my case, our savings account plus the accounts of my parents put together were indicated clearly in my SOP.

2. How much ang expenses when you decide to take this path? – Expenses vs Proof of Funds. Expenses are the money you need to cash out to prepare your documents and requirements in preparation for your application. This also includes expenses for accompanying family members.

IELTS Exam – Academic ONLY for schools that require it. Again, check if you need to take it before booking for an exam. You may need to contact the school directly for this information. You may also need to enroll for review classes if you’re a first timer. This costs around 9,000 pesos depends kung British Council or IDP. If you need to review, include the review fees as well.

• Transcript of Records – Schools may require this when they process your eligibility so make sure you have copies of these or you may have to request these in your respective schools.

3. How long will the process take? – Lodging of student permit application per se is about 6 weeks in average. Ours took 32 days to get approved. It really depends on how fast you can comply with the requirements. It is the longest 32 days of our lives. (Grabeeeh)

Can I bring my spouse with me (as Open Work Permit)? Can we lodge the application together? – YES and YES. Kelangan lang din to ng diskarteng petmalu. While it is possible to bring even your entire family in applying for student permit, you need to strategize your technique in doing so. Huwag bira ng bira. You need to consider this as well when writing your SOPs, you have to explain EVERYTHING. Why are you bringing your family members with you? Why is it important that you are together? Do you have ENOUGH FUNDS for the entire family?

Children are also to be considered in doing your application. How old are they? Do you need someone else to tend to them when you’re busy studying and your spouse working? Can you manage the household with that set-up? Remember that while you are adjusting to the new environment, your children do too. Ponder on that scenario when all of you are adjusting but needs to do work or study and also be parents to your children. Kung kaya naman, then push through with the application. If you have doubts you can do it, especially if you don’t have relatives in Canada, maybe you can postpone (not cancel) bringing your family with you.

5. Does Student Path have age limit? – Wala po. Pero like sir Nyorks Abayon always say, issue ang gap of study with connection to age. The VO may doubt your true intentions in being a student. “Why only now and not when you’re younger?” You NEED to explain and justify your situation in your SOP.

6. Can I apply for PR after studying? – It is not the Canadian Education that will give your application a boost (though it can also boost it, not so much though) but the 1 year Canadian Skilled Work (under NOC A B 0) experience after studying. Make sure you have enrolled in a public school so you can be given a Post Graduate Work Permit after you finish school. That 1 yr skilled work will be your ticket to Permanent Residency. Process is not automatic so you have to apply this the moment you have already complied with the requirements aka Graduated from school. Tyaga tyaga lang po.

About the author: Jonats Miguel
Tell us something about yourself.

Get involved!

Sign up now!


No comments yet